For the TIK festival documentation I wrote an article about breathing_time: Background and concept Breathing_time was conceived as part of the Time Inventors Kabinet project for which I was an invited artist. The idea behind this project was to use different ecological input for creating new notions of time. Right from the start I had […]
I’ve managed to program the first representation of breathing-time. This is a sequence of the way the drop changes when I’m actually breathing while wearing the stretch sensor. The dept of the breath determines the diameter and alpha value of the ‘drop’. The breath rate determines the blurring and horizontal position of the drop. Slow […]
I’ve upgraded my code for the stretch sensor graph in Processing. The sensor outputs numbers. When I breath in or out the number gets lower. Detecting breathing activity isn’t as easy as looking for a numbers below 200 for example. Because over the time of wearing the sensor the whole range of numbers starts to […]
I’ve upgraded the first circuit with the potentiometers and the results look promising. I used the Processing sketch that comes with the Arduino to make a graphic of my breathing activity. I’ve tagged the different regions in the graph so it’s easy to follow the movement of the breath. Btw the circuit is constructed in […]
I shot a video at the normal framerate (view previous post.) I imported it into Flash and set the framerates using ActionScript. This way mocking breathing in and out and speeding up the frame rate. Not breathing slows down the framerate.
My first attempt at building a breath measuring belt using the Merlin stretch sensor. I used this tutorial: http://itp.nyu.edu/physcomp/sensors/Reports/StretchSensor When I breath in and out you don’t see much changes in values. Not more then 20 which is kind of hard to work with. See the full gallery on Posterous