I’ve made some progress with the breathing_time hardware. Together with Richard (I was his ‘lovely assistant’) we soldered all the parts on a compact board. It will be much easier and more wearable to work with.
Category Archives: TIK
This is a sequence of fast breathing. It’s nice how you can spot the difference between the rates of breathing. I’m also very pleased with the planetary feel. See the full gallery on Posterous
breathing sequence slow
I’ve managed to program the first representation of breathing-time. This is a sequence of the way the drop changes when I’m actually breathing while wearing the stretch sensor. The dept of the breath determines the diameter and alpha value of the ‘drop’. The breath rate determines the blurring and horizontal position of the drop. Slow […]
For my breathing_time project I’m currently developing a script that’ll represent breathing-time. It’s my first attempt at object oriented programming (OOP) in Processing and it went rather smoothly. The pictures are the first results using static data. Now I’m working on the ‘drops’ being affected by the data from the breath belt. Size, blurring and […]
I’ve upgraded my code for the stretch sensor graph in Processing. The sensor outputs numbers. When I breath in or out the number gets lower. Detecting breathing activity isn’t as easy as looking for a numbers below 200 for example. Because over the time of wearing the sensor the whole range of numbers starts to […]
stretch sensor visualisation
I’ve upgraded the first circuit with the potentiometers and the results look promising. I used the Processing sketch that comes with the Arduino to make a graphic of my breathing activity. I’ve tagged the different regions in the graph so it’s easy to follow the movement of the breath. Btw the circuit is constructed in […]
breath sensor progress
During the TIK launch event I was fortunate to meet Christian Pointer. He’s an electronic engineer, programmer and hacker from Graz, Austria. He was very kind to help me with improving the stretch sensor. With the few parts I had with me he managed to increase the output range from the sensor to the Arduino dramaticly. […]
mock up of breath driven video
I shot a video at the normal framerate (view previous post.) I imported it into Flash and set the framerates using ActionScript. This way mocking breathing in and out and speeding up the frame rate. Not breathing slows down the framerate.
This is a temporary construction I made to gather material for another TIK visualisation: breath controlled video. I’m making a Flash mock up with the video track I recorded this way.
belt for measuring breath
My first attempt at building a breath measuring belt using the Merlin stretch sensor. I used this tutorial: http://itp.nyu.edu/physcomp/sensors/Reports/StretchSensor When I breath in and out you don’t see much changes in values. Not more then 20 which is kind of hard to work with. See the full gallery on Posterous